Carrot Ginger Soup
This is a recipe for Carrot Ginger Soup.
1) In a medium soup pot sweat the onions, celery root and ginger (and lemon grass) in the sesame oil for approx 5 minutes on medium high heat. If it starts to brown add a splash of water. The onions should remain white but become translucent.
2) Add the carrots and stock and star anise.
3) Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer for 40 minutes or until carrots begin to fall apart.
4) Remove 3 star anise (they will be floating on top) discard Strain mixture and reserve the stock. Pick out the same number of lemon grass pieces you put in. Discard.
5) In small batches in the blender purée the vegetable mixture adding stock as need. (Be careful, as this is really hot and can be potentially dangerous in the blender.)
6) Add the lemon juice and something green like parsley or cilantro to garnish and this soup is sure to warm you even on the coldest of winter days.
1 lbs. Carrots peel and rough chop
1 medium Onion peel and slice
2 tbsp. minced Ginger (add more to taste)
2 quarts hearty vegetable stock (see other recipe)
2 cups Celery root (peel and rough chop)
1 Lemon juiced
Optional 1 stalk lemon grass (cut in 3 inch sections, count the number pieces)
1 tbsp. Sesame oil
3 each Star anise